Once I mixed the hypertufa recipe up, I let it sit for about 5 minutes as the components sucked up the water. At this point, I grabbed two boxes I had lying around. One was kind of big and long, so I figured I’d make a trough planter using this box as a simple mold. The second box would then be placed inside to act as the inner mold (where the potting soil and plants would eventually go).
I sprayed the inside of the larger box and the outside of the smaller box with Pam cooking spray, to act as a mold release once I am ready to de-mold the pot. I then took a shovel full of the hypertufa gunk and placed it in the bottom of the big box–careful to pack it about one inch thick and place a small hole at the bottom for drainage.
After that, I placed the smaller box inside the larger one, and proceeded to fill all four side of the space with hypertufa. At the end, I used the end of a 2×4 to tamp the mixture down and level it all within the space.
Then, I place a plastic bag over the top and set it in a shady spot to dry for 24 hours.
Next, I’ll post some photos of the finished planter trough.