This past Sunday, I added the z-axis to my diy CNC router project. It certainly has that homemade quality to it.
I added smaller drawer slides to the vertical framing of what will be the holding plate for the router (or plasma cutter) that will eventually be fitted to the CNC.
All of the drawer slides that I’m using to move everything are kind of stiff, and I’m expecting to log in some hours entirely to the task of “tweaking” all of the axes in order to have as frictionless movement as possible.
If there is a lot of backlash and stickiness to the slides, it may severely affect the cuts and ability for the stepper motors to move things effectively.
I also rough-cut and drilled where the x-axis threaded rod will run along the middle of table top. I’m finding that I’ll probably need to re-think my placement of the NEMA17 motors considering how they have only shaft-top placement for the mounting screws.
I’ve added a couple videos to my youtube channel.
Here are the two newest videos I’ve added to the channel. You’ll see how sticky the slides are–especially for the z-axis–I think some of the wood may have warped a little. I didn’t necessarily adhere to strict precision guidelines in its installation. In fact, I stuck to my philosophy that “eyeballing” everything is pretty accurate, within feet.
Here is part 6 video of the DIY CNC experiment:
Here is part 7 of my Homemade CNC project: